Tips for making Noodlehead’s Divided Basket pattern
Recently a friend announced an upcoming surgery, and that she would be out of commission for eight long weeks! (She is doing okay, the procedure was last week)
I wanted to do a little something for her – she is an awesome gal!
Enter these stunning prints from Utopia by Frances Newcombe for Art Gallery Fabrics. I got mine during a flash sale from FatQuarterShop.com – the site has daily sales starting at 11 a.m. ET and also features Precuts of the Week.
I decided to make Noodlehead’s Divided Basket in the fabrics and fill it with post-surgery friendly items. Not sure exactly how this happened, but this one turned out to be my best basket yet out of the three I’ve tried.
A couple things I did this time around that made the pattern go together quicker and easier:
- Pellon 950F Shirtailor interfacing on all pieces (including pocket) and Pellon fusible fleece on the two exterior pieces cut slightly smaller to avoid bulky seams
- For the four lining pieces (bright orange print) – I managed to get all of them cut from one fat quarter by folding the entire piece twice to form quadrants, tracing out the pattern piece – then pinning all four layers together in several spots and cutting them all out at once
- Also folded the interfacing into quadrants and cutting all four simultaneously in the same manner for the lining pieces, and by cutting the exterior interfacing two at a time. (This REALLY cut down the time)
- Glue basted the binding tape for the pocket and only had to top stitch once instead of twice
- Glue basted the handles, pocket to exterior piece, exterior pieces to avoid having to use pins/Wonder Clips
Not quite sure what to give someone who just had surgery, so I took an informal poll on Instagram and got some wonderful ideas: Arnicare gel for pain relief, hot beverages, cups. I was able to find some appropriate items at Target – including this adorable mug that says ‘YOU ARE MAGICAL’ and has a unicorn on the inside.
The mug is wrapped up in *lots* of tissue paper to protect it during its journey across several states in the mail. There is a pair of blue plush socks in the mug, Burt’s Bees moisturizing lip balm, Swiss Miss hot cocoa, and a few white chocolate macadamia nut Clif bars. By now, my friend has received her care package in the mail so I wanted to share it with you too!
Leave a Reply